Having a couple of drinks with friends is something many people over the age of 21 do for fun in Washington. While a fun activity that usually ends with a couple of good memories, sometimes drinking can result in a person being pulled over by a police officer under the suspicion of driving under the influence. Unfortunately, this can lead to a very serious situation for anyone, as a DUI conviction can drastically affect a persons personal, professional, and financial well-being.
However, a person facing such a charge is not without options and should have an aggressive, experienced, and passionate attorney protecting their rights and interests. Should you find yourself in this situation, speak with a local Bellevue DUI lawyer today about what legal options are available to you.
1st Offense Penalties
When charged with a DUI in Washington, a person will find themselves facing different penalties depending on their BAC level. According to Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, if a persons BAC is below .15, they could face the following penalties:
* 24 hours to 1 year in jail, or 15 days of enforced electronic home monitoring
* No more than 5,000 in fines, but no less than 865.50
* 90 days of drivers license suspension
If, on the other hand, a persons BAC level is .15 or greater, they could find themselves facing the following increased penalties:
* Between two days and one year of incarceration, or 30 days of electronic home monitoring
* Between 1,120.50 and 5,000 in fines
* Drivers license suspended for one year
Additionally, regardless of a persons BAC level, they could be saddled with the following consequences:
* Installation of an ignition interlock device
* Required SR-22 insurance
* Potential alcohol/drug education classes
These penalties may increase and become more serious depending on a number of factors, such as where the DUI occurs, whether there is a minor in the car, and any prior convictions or charges.